Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sweet Corn

I got six ears of  Peaches & Cream sweet corn today at Gainesville's Fresh Market stand. I had to throw one away because it was wormy and some of the others were too but I just cut the ends off. That's something that you just can't tell about corn is if it's filled out enough or if it's wormy. Then I cut the corn off of the cob and I cooked it tonight for supper. Oh it was soooooooo good! I'm going back tomorrow to get two boxes to put up as cream style corn for the winter. That will taste so good this winter when there are no fresh veggies around. My mom gave me a recipe for putting up corn in the freezer where you don't have to cook it first. Here it is:

Linda Craig's Corn for the Freezer

15 cups corn cut off the cob
3/4 c. sugar (she uses less)
1/4 c. salt (she uses less)
5 cups ice water

Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot.  Let stand for 1 hour.
Stir every few minutes. Put in freezer containers and freeze.

Then when you are ready to cook the corn, just thaw and cook on top of stove in an iron skillet with a couple of tablespoons of butter on medium high heat. When corn starts to bubble, turn down on low and stir constantly for a few minutes until done. This corn is so good that it doesn't take very long to get done. And it's so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment